Volunteering At Nursing Homes Isn't Sad

MainerMikeBrown

Performing volunteer work in a nursing home is a good option for lots of people. You really can make a positive difference in facilities like that, as many elderly residents there appreciate volunteers taking time out from their busy lives to visit with them.

However, some people believe that volunteering at a nursing home is...to be blunt...too sad and depressing.

But I disagree.

If you volunteer at a nursing home, you can't look at it that way. Instead, I think you have to view it as an opportunity to help people who live in nursing homes and make a difference in their lives.

And their's nothing depressing about that, that's for sure!

CatMom1994

The best way to volunteer at a nursing home (if you can do it) is get a certified therapy cat or dog and bring it to the facility for socialization. Some nursing homes have feline residents. Many others let people bring cats or dogs who have proof of therapy animal certification, but I don't know all the rules. If you are interested, look for a service animal training school.

linda2147

when my mom was in assisted living my daughter would bring one of her bulldogs to bisit. I remember one time there was an old man that would sit in the lobby and just loved the dog, he would wait outside the elevator for us to come back down so he could play with the dog again before we left. he would literally stay in the lobby keeping us down there with him for at least half an hour. Was the highlight of his week. he so looked forward to our visits

TTouch

My 'pup/s' volunteer at a nursing home (and a 'sort of local' about 15 miles away school for disabled children)...the only sad thing is that many of the residents had their own pets before going in and miss them so much, so it is lovely to spend time chatting to them but the stars of the show is always my dogs ( as it should be)