Warning - Spam Email

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I received a spam email with a virus attachment from USPS (United States Postal Service) today, it said a package was sent and to click on the shipping label to view info and tracking number. Well, like a dummy I clicked on it, and an application appeared on my computer. I quickly deleted it and ran a virus scan. Also deleted cookies, history and temporary internet files...hoping I'm okay, and will be much more careful next time. :(

eslucky

Good thing you caught it and ran your virus scan. I forward most of the spam emails I get to this email address: spam@uce.gov

It goes to the Federal Trade Commission. You can check out their link here. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/07/newspamemail.shtm

I really don't know what they do with it and if they follow up on every email they get but it makes me feel a little better about the whole thing. There are so many spammers out there now trying to infect our computers with viruses. I just don't get it at all.

kittydancer

Thanks for the warning. I've gotten a bunch of them and people always think "Oh I'd never fall for that" but some of them are pretty slick. I'm pretty Internet-savvy and I've still almost fallen for a few. I got a pretty official-looking email that looked like it came from the Better Business Bureau stating that there was a complaint against me. Rather than call the listed hotline number, I looked up the number for the BBB off their official website. When I called, there was a recording explaining the scam, so it must have been a big thing. But yeah, some of the scammers are getting REALLY good.