Wet food for pregnant bitch

Practicallyazoo

My pregnant bitch (3 weeks) won't touch dry food, hasn't for the last 4 days. She's had a bit of scrambled egg and I remembered I had a tray of Naturo wet food so have tried her with a little bit of that which she's wolfed down.

Has anyone a recommendation for a good nutrionally sound wet food, preferably one with added calcium but don't mind giving her supplements. I've enough Naturo for maybe a week but a lot of the foods on allaboutdogfood I think might be a bit too rich for her?

Thank you

linda2147

will she eat a raw diet? Or even cooked food but no carbs and little fat. canned food has a lot of fat and calories in it, she doesn't need that much. and she doesn't need any carbs. arbs are anything white, like bread, spaghetti, rice ect.

Practicallyazoo

Original Poster
She has eaten raw before but I'm not sure if she will at the moment, however I could pop to Pete at home. I've managed to get her to eat scrambled egg and some cooked chicken. I don't mind cooking for her but concerned about her getting what she needs. She doesn't need too much at the moment as it's too early. Hoping this is just a phase. She may be off dry food but she did run off with half of my pizza....

linda2147

she is spoiled, put the food down and leave it fifteen minutes or so then pick it up if she hasn't eaten then don't give her anything until the next feeding, she won't starve herself, when she gets hungry she'll eat. if you feed raw or even cooked as long as she gets the right supplements she'll be fine. you can add some honest kitchen to her food like a quarter cup of honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of warm water, let it thicken then add to food, tthis is all the v greens she needs for her diet and a tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat which is all the vitamins and minerals she needs.

Practicallyazoo

Original Poster
she is spoiled, put the food down and leave it fifteen minutes or so then pick it up if she hasn't eaten then don't give her anything until the next feeding, she won't starve herself, when she gets hungry she'll eat. if you feed raw or even cooked as long as she gets the right supplements she'll be fine. you can add some honest kitchen to her food like a quarter cup of honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of warm water, let it thicken then add to food, tthis is all the v greens she needs for her diet and a tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat which is all the vitamins and minerals she needs.
She's not spoiled, that's how I've always fed them - pick the food up if they don't eat it. But after 5 days of not eating it was a bit concerning! She wouldn't touch Markus muehle or even Harringtons (not good quality but was trying to see if she'd eat something else)

I'm assuming dry foods not agreeing with her

Practicallyazoo

Original Poster
I'll have a look at honest kitchen thanks!

TTouch

after 5 days of not eating
First you need to get her to the Vets as not eating while in welp suggests something might be wrong.
High quality protein and calcium rich food...so raw/cooked meat/organs so chicken, Ox heart/liver/kidneys, whole eggs ( including the shell) ideally boil an egg let it cool and tap to crush the shell, give whole as the shell is 98% pure calcium...this will give her a food experience, mentally stimulate her and whatever shell she eats will help....If she is steal junk food she is hungry

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum. What is your dog's name?

Dry food is always bad for dogs unless they refuse to eat anything else, so good for her on that.

I can't believe Linda is against feeding a pregnant dog more calories. The standard recommendations are feeding puppy food for more calories or tripling the amount she eats every day. After her puppies are born, she is supposed to continue eating puppy food while lactating. If you feed raw, the directions are totally different, but she still would need a lot more calories (especially from protein) than usual.

linda2147

SHE NEEDS MORE CALORIES BUT not FAT OR CARBS. CANNED FOOD HAS A LOT OF FAT AND CARBS SO ADDJUST HER DIET ACCORDINGLY THE CALORIES NEED TO COME FROM PROTEINS SUCH AS FRESH MEAT AND FISH AND CALCIUM FROM EGGS AND GROUND UP EGG SHELLS AND SARDINES DAILY IS AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF OILS AND IS HIGH IN PROTEIN

PhoenixKoi

I would check to see if she has any teeth problems. She might not want to eat because it hurts her to chew dry food. If you can, try soaking the dry food in chicken bone broth or some type of liquid to see if that might be the problem. A vet visit would be a good thing to just check her overall. A high calorie diet is good for pregnant dogs but excess fat and carbs can be harmfull so try to feed a mix. (I am no expert on dogs in any way so if i said somthing wrong feel free to correct me. I am simply just trying to help!)