We've found a sick kitten and now the resident one is sad

Sanda

Hello to everyone!
so, in June we adopted our kitten Freya, who now is almost 5 months old. She came from a family who owned her mother and before us was only surrounded by her brother and sisters. Since she is our only cat and both my boyfriend and I work from home, she's always had plenty of attention and cuddles. She's usually playful and happy and isn't bothered the company of other people. The only episode we've ever had was about two weeks ago when travelling she saw a dog and got very scared. Since than she gets startled when she hears noises or when you do a sudden movement.

Three days ago some children outside our building found a kitten. For some strange reason they tried to bathe him, so when we approached we found that he was all wet and shacking, with the entire face covered in crust and he couldn't open his eyes. We took him in, put him in a separate room, cleaned him, took him to the vet and now are treating him. We haven't decided yet if we are keeping him or eventually giving him up for adoption. We would like to keep him if they get along though.

Now this is the problem: ever since we found him, Freya is not very happy. She probably sensed him through the door or on our clothes right from the beginning and started eating less, being more aggressive towards us and vocalizing more. Yesterday, she hurried to the door when I was coming in and got inside the room the kitten is staying in. They looked at each other and both started hissing. At that point I took her out. Now she stays in her box most of the time, doesn't play, eats less and cries outside the door each time we are in the other room with the kitten. she looks so sad:(((

will she get over it and we should give her time or do you think we should just give away the little one (who btw is only 9 weeks old).
sorry for the longggggg post, I'm a just a little worried (as you might have noticed:)

Thank you!!!!
Sanda

linda2147

what I do when I get a new cat or kitten is I put the new one in a large wire dog crate with its supplies and put it where the two of them can see each other and get the growling and hissing over with which is natural. I take the kitten out and play with it in sight of the other cat and watch them closely as they interact. If it goes well I leave it out for a while watching constantly if the meeting doesn't go well I I put it back in the crate and try again later. It only takes a few days for them to get along but I still put the new on in the crate when I am not home and overnight until I'm absolutely sure they are getting along. It really doesn't take very long and they are fine together

Sanda

Original Poster
IMG_20200926_220802.jpg
Problem solved! Now they play together, eat together, sleep in the same bed and somehow even decided on using the same litter 😂 I guess we're keeping the little one after all.
Thank you for the reply!

linda2147

good to hear, I knew it wouldn't take long Once the resident cat realizes the new one is here to stay they will come around