What can I do about a neighbor harassing me with his dog while im in my car?

meliss

For the past 3 years what seems over 30 times now when I leave from my home with my car and stop at the stop sign 25 houses away, in front of the last home is a man on the side walk or front property with his dog on a leash at first just barking at me as I drove by in my car, but then as months or a year went by the barking got more vicious as the dog also lunged at me in my car. I notice him and his dog on average once or twice a month, or once every 2 months.

This man seems to have gotten bolder with his dog and the last 4 times I saw him he's walking the dog right on the road. Two months ago as he was on the road with his dog on a leash, the dog once again barked and LUNGED at me viciously towards my car coming rather close, I had to speed up a little in order to prevent his dog from clawing my car if that would of happened Then I noticed him and his dog again on the road 2 weeks later in which I made sure my car was as far from them to the left side as possible.

Then I noticed him again today on mothers day, after 11 am, this time he was walking back and forth on the road next to the stop sign. I feared that if I stopped at the stop sign being too close to his dog on the road that the dog would lunge at my car and maby claw it, so I had no choice but to back up into a driveway, turn around and go the other way.

You know there are laws that state harassment is illegal. Its illegal for a person to do things repeatedly that causes a mental disturbance onto another person. A man can do this while holding a dog on the leash as the dog viciously barks and lunges towards another person over and over and over again.. I feel like calling the police buy I fear the police may not help me.

What should I do? Install a camera in my car to catch this harassment over and over? Or when I see him on the road with his dog should I always turn around and go the other direction? I think this man must have alot of nerve to actually think its ok for his dog to want to show vicious intentions to a totally innocent person. I could maby just understand a little if hes walking the dog on the side walk, but walking the dog on the road where the dog is lunging quite closely to my car? Well thats ridiculous. What can I do?

Last edited:

meliss

Original Poster
Another question, is it illegal for a person to walk their dog on the road? especially when it proves to be vicious by barking and lunging quite close to a car? If this happens 30 plus times. is this harassment? Should I take it to court to prove harassment?

linda2147

what you need to do is let the dog attack the car, then you can sue him for damages. Maybe hitting him in the pocketbook will make him smarten up a camera won't hurt as he could always claim it wasn't his dog.

mechi2

Can't you take another route to avoid him? That would be the easiest option. Going to court is expensive and time consuming. It also won't hurt to contact the police and explain what is happening, they maybe able to help.

K Cruz

1st walking a dog even a 'vicious' one on the road is legal AS LONG as its on a leash and under the control of a person. And what some perceive as "vicious" is actually an excited dog. If you are in a car, who cares if the dog barks/lunges. That said, If the dog damages your car, you can find remedy with courts an animal control. As hes supposed to maintain control of his dog. The car damage would be proof of lack of control an yeah video would help. Are you able to get the guy's address? Give it an video if any to animal control, tell them you have concerns about the safety if any school kids etc not in a enclosed car. Other than that, theres no such thing as bad dogs/breeds, only crappy owners. Good luck.