What caused a pet to attack its owner?

just474

I heard stories about people owning a pet for years and all of a sudden the pets attacks them. what do you think may have contributed to that? my family use to own a dog when i was younger. He got along with all my siblings but for some reason he keep trying to bit me when i try to play with it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I think some dogs aren't properly trained early on about 'play biting', and that it shouldn't happen, that's what their toys are for. If they do this to certain children, it's because they feel they can, that they dominate that child. Serious attacks are much more involved. The dog may have been abused by someone in the past, or maybe have a medical condition, where they're not thinking straight.

kittydancer

Unfortunately there's no way to know what goes on in the mind of an animal. It could have been pretty much anything. But I'm going to agree with Alpha1 and speculate that it could be poor training, it could be past abuse, it could be a whole number of different things. Maybe there was a specific trigger for the dog that only you set off. Maybe it was your style of playing with the dog, and he just didn't like it.

One of my aunt's dogs is trained pretty well but was always hostile to my ex-boyfriend when he saw him. Every time he came over, it would take about 15 minutes for the dog to calm down - and then he was really friendly toward him. That dog was a rescue dog, though, and there's no way to know what went on in his past. It's possible he was abused by someone who looked like my ex and it took him a few minutes to realize they weren't the same person. There's really no way to know. :-/

Last edited: