what factors should you consider in getting dog collars?

Lorry

Banned
I am planning to get a dog collar for my pet, but i am worried about getting him something that might choke him or cause him to be uncomfortable. Tips on what to look out for would be useful.

linda2147

If you are worried about him getting caught on something and hurting himself get a breakaway collar, that will come apart and the dog can't hurt himself as the collar will come apart and just fall to the floor, you can't use this as a tie out collar as any stress on it will make it open up.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I've used mostly nylon collars for my dogs, or leather collars. Hans has a leather one now and has had it for years. We never put the collar that tight on the dog, so if there was a dangerous situation, where it got hung up on a tree branch or something else, they would be able to wiggle out of it and free themselves. Never had an issue with it coming off on its own. Same for my cat, he can slip out if need be, loose enough for that, but it stays on.

Tobi

Those 'breakaway' collars are great and the best thing for cats who climb trees. But it's important not to put too much pressure on them, and not to attach a leash which you are relying on to hold the dog, if it suddenly pulls forward. And the more they are opened and closed, the weaker the fastening can get over time.
If a dog wears one of these, the leash should be attached to a steel ring in a harness or something else.

Lorry

Banned
Original Poster
Nylon and leather collars sound good, because i was mostly concerned about it getting hurt.

jporter

jporter
For my it depends on the season.
I use Lupine collars in the summer. The are a very good quality and have an awesome warranty.
In the winter I have leather collars for them.
The reason for this is although Rudy doesn't swim i do not want them getting their leather collars wet.

However, The boys only wear collars if we have to go anywhere. We live out in the country and I was too worried about them getting caught up in something on the farm.

petty254

Soft nylon collar or a thin leather collar will do the job perfectly without chocking your dog.