What is my dog mixed with-plott hound, mastiff, lab...?

COgirl0321

Hello,

I am questioning my shelter dogs breed and his different mixes. He was listed as a mastiff mix but only in slight ways he seems like that (which other breeds have similar characteristics). That we know of, he was returned to that specific shelter 3 different times, so his breed could be completely different. His coat color brindle seems to be similar to a plott hound and sometimes his body (tail, longer legs), his droopier eyes and cheeks like a mastiff, but then ears of a lab. People have also stated pitbull from his head shape when his ears go back. He is pretty big, around 85 pounds, and has longer legs (we definitely thought maybe a Great Dane mix but he's a little too small for that breed I think).

Personality wise, he is a big cuddler, obsesses over food and certain toys, whines frequently for attention and "talks" a lot when whining, loves to fetch, will do anything for treats or food, and could spend all day outside sniffing around. He is slightly lazy but likes to run for a little and then nap.

My main reasoning for questioning is that mastiffs are seen as "fighting dogs" and are sometime restricted in places which I do not want for our sweet 4 year old boy!

Attached are some photos to show him and his size (sitting in an F150 passenger seat).

What breed do you think he could be? Thank you for any input!

Attachments

linda2147

the head looks like lab, the back end and tail looks pit, but he could be a mixture of many breeds. The long legs could be if he if he was neutered young so don't go by legs. Again the brindle coloring could be anything. If there is pit there is not enough that the average person could say pit or mastiff. Just accept him for what he is and if people ask his breed just say designer breed, shelters are full of mixed breeds that people call designer breeds.

CatMom1994

When people see dogs that are obviously mutts, they don't restrict them from certain places based on one trait matching that of a pit bull, mastiff, or similar breed. Dogs are still dogs with their own personalities, which come from both nature and nurture. However, he is too big to live in certain apartments, so I hope you are not thinking about renting with this boy.

K Cruz

Hello,

I am questioning my shelter dogs breed and his different mixes. He was listed as a mastiff mix but only in slight ways he seems like that (which other breeds have similar characteristics). That we know of, he was returned to that specific shelter 3 different times, so his breed could be completely different. His coat color brindle seems to be similar to a plott hound and sometimes his body (tail, longer legs), his droopier eyes and cheeks like a mastiff, but then ears of a lab. People have also stated pitbull from his head shape when his ears go back. He is pretty big, around 85 pounds, and has longer legs (we definitely thought maybe a Great Dane mix but he's a little too small for that breed I think).

Personality wise, he is a big cuddler, obsesses over food and certain toys, whines frequently for attention and "talks" a lot when whining, loves to fetch, will do anything for treats or food, and could spend all day outside sniffing around. He is slightly lazy but likes to run for a little and then nap.

My main reasoning for questioning is that mastiffs are seen as "fighting dogs" and are sometime restricted in places which I do not want for our sweet 4 year old boy!

Attached are some photos to show him and his size (sitting in an F150 passenger seat).

What breed do you think he could be? Thank you for any input!
I have a plott/mastiff shelter dog. DNA proved no pit in him, as that was something everyone asks when they see that giant head, white patch on his chest. How you described your dog's personality is 100% my cuddle giant. He was skinny like yours as a pup but then filled out and got chunky. Ha ha. He thinks hes tiny.

Anyhow, Mastiffs being seen as fighting dogs - is ignorance of the breed. That said, I know what you're talking about as bad people have tarnished a breed. If for homeowners ins./landlords/licensing have him listed as a "Plott Hound Mix". Mine actually is plott hound/mastiff on my license. As My GSD's breed is considered the 'forbidden breed' and not Mastiffs in CA where I live.

My plott/mastiff is brindle, and his vocals scare people (he sounds vicious) but legit, he doesnt have even a defensive agrressive bone in him. My GSD had to "defend" him against an Akita at a dog park. The Akita was tearing at his face and my plott mix was like "ouch that hurts-you are playing to rough". My GSD, was like "ahh hell nah!" And handled the Akita. I have friends with Toddlers who adore my ridiculous dog.

He lets them lay on him (actually likes cuddles an being laid on?! ), and watches lego & barbie movies with mini guests. Lol. Plotts are VERY vocal. I've done rescue with "difficult" breeds in the past- This is not one of them. He learned training fast and like both plott & mastiff- very family oriented with a strong desire to please. "lab" ears is a plott trait. He was almost grey hound skinny as a pup but then filled out. He's 6 now and on a diet since his "lines" have vanished. Lol

Attachments