What pet should I get?

Coffeevibes

I work about 40 hours a week on 1st and 2nd shifts. I know some pets need around the clock attention when they are young, but I would like to adopt a pet that will still love me even though I'm gone most of the day. My roomate won't let me get a cat, and im on the fence about a dog. I'd like to get a chinchilla or large rabbit. Are these realistic options for me?

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum.

That is a shame about your roommate. Cats usually are realistic for people who work all day and easier to take care of. Why won't your roommate let you adopt one?

The worst animal you can adopt is a dog with that work schedule. Some breeds are higher maintenance than others, but all dogs need somebody to be home most of the day if they don't have their own jobs. So if you can't talk your roommate into adopting a cat, I recommend a rabbit.

Coffeevibes

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum.

That is a shame about your roommate. Cats usually are realistic for people who work all day and easier to take care of. Why won't your roommate let you adopt one?

The worst animal you can adopt is a dog with that work schedule. Some breeds are higher maintenance than others, but all dogs need somebody to be home most of the day if they don't have their own jobs. So if you can't talk your roommate into adopting a cat, I recommend a rabbit.
Thank you for your advice! Sadly she just tells me she hates cats.

CatMom1994

Thank you for your advice! Sadly she just tells me she hates cats.
Often people say that until they adopt their own cats. Then they can't imagine living without furry creatures that say meow!

There is no good or logical reason to hate cats. She can read a book titled "The Dog Who Rescued Cats" by the man who adopted a dog thinking he hates cats and does not want to live with one . . . only to later rescue lots of special needs kitties his dog found and love all of them. I accept a severe allergy to cats and already having a hunting breed dog can make cats bad pets sometimes, but if the only problem is what traits she wants
in a pet, saying she hates cats is ludicrous,

mechi2

Whatever pet you decide to get be sure to first get all the info you can about it and the kind of care it requires

Coffeevibes

Original Poster
I work about 40 hours a week on 1st and 2nd shifts. I know some pets need around the clock attention when they are young, but I would like to adopt a pet that will still love me even though I'm gone most of the day. My roomate won't let me get a cat, and im on the fence about a dog. I'd like to get a chinchilla or large rabbit. Are these realistic options for me?
Cat indeed, but I love dogs.
I got her to agree on a cat!!!

1sideneck_1slider

Why not get a turtle? If you're away for a long time, they can go for 5 months without food! They only need about $250 to buy the uvb bulb, lamps, heat bulb, filter, heater, food, and other basic necessities. If you check out the turtle girl on youtube, she has lots of great advice. youl only need 12-20 dollars a year for food.

MacMadame

I'm glad you are getting a cat but to answer your original question, chinchillas make great pets! They live a long time and can be trained to use a litter box just like cats.