whats a good snake to get?

linda2147

snakes are not pets, they belong in the wild not a cage. They have a tiny brain and have no loyalty to you. They tolerate you as long as you provide food, if there is no food then you'll do.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
snakes are not pets, they belong in the wild not a cage. They have a tiny brain and have no loyalty to you. They tolerate you as long as you provide food, if there is no food then you'll go.
IMO, there are many snakes that make great pets. I do not advocate capturing wild ones, but many domestic snakes are sold in pet stores and are totally lovable and full of character. Saying a snake is a bad pet is like saying a fish is a bad pet. Many snakes have been domesticated just as much as our modern day aquarium fish and have at least as much personal connection with their owner.

To OP, one of my personal favorites is the Kenyan sand boa. You might want to do a little research on what snakes will be good for you personally. It really all depends on your setup.

linda2147

snakes are not domesticated animals. They can live very nicely on their own and feed themselves. I'm not a fan on reptiles and rodents but I don't like to see anything living its life in a cage

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
snakes are not domesticated animals. They can live very nicely on their own and feed themselves. I'm not a fan on reptiles and rodents but I don't like to see anything living its life in a cage
Sorry, but that’s like saying dogs are bad pets cause wolves exist. There are some reptiles that are not domestic, yes, but some are. Have you ever seen a bearded dragon? Those things are 10 times more domestic then my betta, or even most cats.

There are so many types of snakes that you can’t really say that they are domestic or not domestic. Yes, some are not domestic and should not be pets, but some are domestic and make great pets. You can’t really lay a blanket statement on an animal like that. snake is almost as vague dog, or fish, or cat. Sure, there are wild cats like bobcats and stuff, does that mean a house cat is a bad cat?

linda2147

and when have you seen a domesticated wolf? There are wolf hybreds that are domesticated but not a full blooded wolf. Tell me how something with a brain the size of a walnut can have any loyalty to you? They belong in the wild not in a cage

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
and when have you seen a domesticated wolf? There are wolf hybreds that are domesticated but not a full blooded wolf. Tell me how something with a brain the size of a walnut can have any loyalty to you? They belong in the wild not in a cage
So, lemme get this strait. Anything that doesn’t have a large brain and doesn’t express loyalty is a bad pet (acording to what you are saying). That would exclude all pets in the US other then dogs and some cats. That is really bias, especially when you probably haven’t ever even come in contact with a lot of animals you just ruled out so you have no idea what they are actually like.

Are you saying birds, turtles, fish, ferrets, snails, and just about every other pet are bad pets? Acording to your description of a bad pet, snails are like the worst pet in the world. I keep lots of snail, and I can tell you that they are very social creature and make amazing pets. A snail will literally get depressed and hide in its shell all the time if it is alone.

Last edited:

linda2147

and I'm not interested in finding out. You like them good for you, far as I'm concerned the only good snake is a dead snake