who buys meds from their vet?

Where do you buy your dog's medicine?

• From my vet

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Online (i.e. Chewy or Petmeds)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • From a physical pharmacy (but not my vet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain in comments!)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

golden8399

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on purchasing your pet medicines directly from your vet versus from an online pharmacy (like 1800petmeds.com or chewy.com)?

The online stores seem to have slightly better prices than my vet, but it still seems easier and safer to stick with my vet. I have to go to them anyway to get the diagnosis and sometimes the prescription in the first place. Also they're the expert who tells me how to administer the medicine, so it seems better to just buy it from them.

Any opinions? Have any of you gone the online route and not looked back? Is it easy to get prescriptions sent to the websites? Also, does your vet ever care or get upset?

Thank you!!!

linda2147

I get my meds on line, unless I take them in for some minor thing and they get a script then and there but I do that I also get a written script for online. They are much cheaper and its the same meds. And if your on line phamacy carries generic its cheaper yet. I can get generic heartworm pills for twenty one dollars for six, they are generic and have been using them for years with no issue.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I never had a dog, but voted for Other anyway. It is not that simple because often dogs have to take both OTC and prescription medications. Also, online pet pharmacies and Amazon sell veterinary diets, which require a prescription from the vet. I got these both online and at the vet. One time, I went to CVS to get the original Pepcid AC for my cat.

gul.Impact

As long as your vet tells you what medicine to get, it does not matter if you buy it online, from pharmacy or your vet. Online prices are always better and if it is from a safe online shop, I always use online purchasing.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I buy mine from the vet, they do a price match for online prices. I may pay for the first prescription at the time the medication is needed for my dog, that way I can administer it the same day to give my dog relief from his symptoms. But any refills after that, I just show an online ad, and they match the price.

APafDog&CatMom

I have been buying mine from my vet, but my animals are all young and healthy.
I did order an FVRCP shot for the new baby kitten because my car may not be up and running again by the time she is due.

Ideally, I'd like to buy local and support the only holistic vet within many miles because it DOES matter, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

I used Heritage Animal Health because they had the lowest shipping cost. I might use Allivet for Cheristin and Comfortis if I keep the animals on flea meds for another month, but I'm not overly impressed, to be bluntly honest.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I buy mine from the vet, they do a price match for online prices. I may pay for the first prescription at the time the medication is needed for my dog, that way I can administer it the same day to give my dog relief from his symptoms. But any refills after that, I just show an online ad, and they match the price.
Looks like you have a caring vet.

I always have the first dose given right there because it is nearly impossible to medicate a pet myself.