why I feed my dog raw food

LPC

Yes, Linda! You are right to draw attention to the meat rendering scandal. I give Forgy a home-made and home-cooked blend of beef (human consumption quality) - which I grind in a machine - plus some vegetables and fruit added (mostly from our garden). Personally, I don't give raw meat, because of the risk of worms. I cook it thoroughly. But I understand why some dog lovers prefer to give raw meat for health reasons. What goes into most (not all) commercial pet foods is really worrying.

I am with you 100% about the meat rendering disgrace. The article you cited is about America, but the problem is practically world-wide. The EU has some controls on the practice, but it exists there, too.

TTouch

I don't give raw meat, because of the risk of worms.
As long as you worm your dog as normal there is no issue and as long as you first freeze fresh fish which kills any worms it may contain then de-thaw before feeding. The issue most non raw feeders worry about is salmonella/e-coli etc however raw fed dogs have a natural acid gut which kills them anyway, where as those not fed raw have a more alkaline gut so are more suseptable.

mechi2

The whole idea behind the fad of feeding raw meat is that it's what their ancestors would naturally eat and therefore a healthier diet. But store bought food is not the same as in the wild, it contains "unnatural" stuff, even meat labeled organic still has stuff to help keep its freshness during transport.

linda2147

Original Poster
its still healthier than commercial dog food. I grind up mine with bones and all then I add missing link for all the vitamins and minerals they need, then I add a bit of honest kitchen for fruits and veggies. I also give a fish oil bill, two glucosimine pills and a probiotic. My ten year old shepherd has a beautiful coat and still runs around and plays like a puppy. So a raw diet hasn't hurt her any.