Why is my cat biting me?

GingerM

I have a one year old domestic short hair female that I got from a shelter when she was five months old. When I got her she had already been spayed and front claws removed. I believe she was briefly adopted by someone, then returned shortly thereafter. I thought she was friendly and curious from the beginning, never hid under chairs or seemed afraid.
I give her play time each day, but she never seems to wind down from playtime. I only use toys with her, never my hands, but sometimes I try to touch her on the head or the back and she immediately turns her mouth toward my hand and clamps down on it. She does not break the skin, but I withdraw my hand and stop interacting with her.
She sleeps with me at night on occasion and frequently bites at my hands and fingers when I am just turning over. Just this morning I bent my knee under the covers and she pounced on me and took a bite on my knee. A few nights ago I was lying with my eyes closed and I heard her come over to me purring, but she tried to bite my mouth. I now am afraid to sleep with her for fear she will take a chunk out of me. She sometimes crouches under the diningroom table or behind doors and I don't even know she is there until she runs out and attacks my ankles. I move away from her and she just runs off.
What is causing my 1-year old cat to bite unprovoked? Am I doing something wrong?

linda2147

she is just being a cat, its not unusual. My female is three and my male is five and they still "hunt" toe mice. I have to have a comforter at the foot of my bed to wrap up my feet because the slightest movement and they pounce. Claws out and try to bite. Its not a big deal, its a cat thing. You might think about getting another cat as a companion to her, another cat would give her someone to play with and use up some of that energy and they like having their own kind of play with. Plus they are company for each other when you are not home

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
There are many reasons cats bite. Moving your legs under the blankets makes them look like toys to her. Cats are nocturnal and don't always play when we want to. It is part of their hunting instinct. Biting after normal playtime could be a message to stop. Biting is the only way she can defend herself with the front claws gone, but adopting another cat who never fights is a good idea.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
She's very young, I imagine she's just being playful and a bit rambunctious. You can quietly and calmly tell her no when she bites like that, but don't get exited or raise your voice.

Maybe at your bedside on the night table you can keep a small stuffed toy for her to bite on. When she goes after your knee or hands, put it in front of her and say, no, you bite this. If anything it will temporarily distract her away from you.

My cat is very friendly and loving and sleeps with me a lot (along with the dog). There are times he can be on the floor all stretched out and relaxed by me, maybe lying on his back or side. He'll be purring like an angel. I'll go to pet his stomach and he'll gently "attack". I always tell him no and stop petting him then. Other times he's just fine

Welcome Ginger! :)

linda2147

What would you do with my Sandy, I put the toilet paper on top of the shower doors to keep the cats from shredding it. Now she jumps on top of the shower door and walks around up there knocking the toilet paper down into the tub, then she jumps down, grabs the roll and runs away with it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm lucky, Loki never messed at all with the TP even when he was a kitten. Also, he never just comes over and "attacks" me on his own. When he sleeps with me at night I can relax, he never does anything to me, he's pretty mellow.

linda2147

Bemga;s aren't your average house cat. Orri is very mellow compared to Sandy but they are both very active. Nanny isn't to bright, she follows the others lead but never thinks of things on her own. She's more content to eat and sleep than get into things

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Daisy was teething when I adopted her. I bought a stuffed dinosaur she could chew on instead of my shoes and bedding. She liked playing with it for only two weeks, so I could not totally stop her biting habit. However she did grow out of attacking my feet at night.

GingerM

Original Poster
Is Ginger your cat's name?
No, my cat's name is Violet. My lovely darling senior cat who died last year was Daisy. I stayed in the flower family but that is where their similarities end. Going from a senior cat to a kitten was probably not the best decision I made. I think next time I'll look for a senior cat at shelters. Ha ha. Thanks.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
My cat's name is Daisy! I did not want to giver her a very common name, but she responds to it so I have no complaints.

My mom kept telling me she does NOT want a kitten, but when we looked for our next cat, all of her favorites were kittens.

justlexi93

If it is a soft bite then it is normal behavior, could be that the cat had a traumatic experienced with her owner before?