Woman Buys a Balut Egg from A Restaurant and Takes It Home to Hatch It

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
She then had a sweet little duckling for a pet, and that duck had a chance at life again, one that is better than imagined. More here.

Everything started when Lim bought a fertilized duck egg in a Vietnamese restaurant in Puchong that sold balut, a controversial Filipino snack of fertilized duck embryo eaten alive from the shell. Lim had bought one on impulse and decided to hatch it at home.

Dog Force One

Banned
balut, a controversial snack of fertilized duck embryo eaten alive from the shell
I have never, ever heard of eating raw balut. This is vegan sensationalized propaganda. Balut eggs are normally cooked (boiled) before consumption.

Someone in the article is cooking their facts and serving up fake news for their own agenda.

I'm not saying eating any sort of egg is good, but what they wrote is not true. At least it is not normal practice.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
I agree they are not eaten live, maybe the author was misinformed or it was just a mistake. Regardless, glad the duck is now living as someone's pet instead.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
What a cute duck! I so glad she saved it instead of eating it!

Dog Force One

Banned
Unfortunately the behind-the-scenes practices of regular egg production are as bad and worse. Gruesome stuff.

Would make your stomach turn.

Dog Force One

Banned
We who eat regular eggs just turn a blind eye to the consequences worse than balut and choose not to hear, while we cook up more eggs for breakfast.

The only real difference is our flagrant hypocrisy and false self-righteousness.

Which is nothing to brag about or be proud of.

Jessie J.

Ninja Nif
Unfortunately the behind-the-scenes practices of regular egg production are as bad and worse. Gruesome stuff.

Would make your stomach turn.
I have seen behind-the-scenes exposes for poultry farms and that's why I don't eat commercial chicken.