Yorkipoo diagnosed with Legg Calves Perthes Disease

Shadow0484

My sweet yorkipoo Winslow, 5 days shy of his 1st birthday, was just diagnosed with (LCP) Legg Calves Perthes Disease. It is an uncommon condition. LCP disease is caused when the blood flow is restricted to the femoral head. It starts to cause the bone to die, and disintegrate.

If LCP is really minor, because the blood floor is restored on its own, the dog can be put on crate rest and given physical therapy. But unfortunately Winslow's case is not a simple one. I knew that Winslow being an odd little guy would have an odd issue. He is just a 4.5lbs little sweetheart and I felt that he didn't deserve to go through this.

The vet told us he was most likely in quite a bit of pain and it broke my heart. I own his mother, father, and his only sister. They are one big happy family. Not one of them has had any problems with this, or anything really so it was really unexpected. Winslow was always sensitive about us touching his back legs. Nail clipping time was always dreaded because no one wanted to hurt him in anyway. I took him to the vet to have it done.

He is tiny and bouncy so he always seemed to walk funny. But the last week I noticed when he jumped down from the couch he wouldn't put his back left leg down until he was down and moving. Then it went to holding it up when he was just walking around and it was time to go to the vet.

The X-ray, which I will include if I can, showed a moth eaten femur head and even some damage to the acetabular joint area. The vet assured me the joint area would heal once he had surgery. Ah yes, the surgery. The vet told me that in order for Winslow to live a normal virtually pain free life he would need to have a surgery Called FHO- basically Femoral head excision.

This is where they would go in through the hip area and cut off the top of the femur, the ball the sits in the joint. I myself am a surgical technologist but I was unaware that they could cut off the femoral head and the dog would still be able to bear weight on it. The vet, however, assured me that a new false joint would be created by connective tissue and muscle that would grow to prevent the bones from rubbing together. I was told that after 2 or 3 months Winslow would be completely healed!

Now the reason I wrote this was to ask everyone else's experience with this procedure. How did your dog handle it? What was their after care and physical therapy like? Do they prevent them from using the leg with a sling at first? Winslow has just been through his diagnosis and Tomorrow, Monday morning I will make his surgery apt. So I just wanted to get some info from experiences before hand. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello and welcome. Very sorry to hear about your dog, he's very sweet looking. I'm not familiar at all with that condition, but I hope the surgery is successful and he has a full recovery....good luck, please let us know how things are going.

Shadow0484

Original Poster
Hello and welcome. Very sorry to hear about your dog, he's very sweet looking. I'm not familiar at all with that condition, but I hope the surgery is successful and he has a full recovery....good luck, please let us know how things are going.
Thank you so much! I will come back and fill in after his procedure.