You pet dog makes you feel awesome during COVID pandemic

Aimitertyso

My Dog pepper had helped me feel healthy mentally and emotionally, he is playful and always cuddles me most of the time. During COVID pandemic and lockdowns, how did your pet dogs and cats help you sustain and keep your good mental health amidst pandemic? Share your stories.

bobbiecb

I have to super careful about covid due to a family member's lack of a normal immune system. If I get it, it could be disastrous for my family member. So I can't go to any stores, restaurants, or anything else. I mean, I can't go anywhere. Really BORING!

Fortunately, my little doggie keeps me company. We enjoy great walks together, getting some exercise, looking at the things people have done with their houses around the neighborhood. And now we're seeing the beautiful Christmas lights every night.

He's a little schnauzer and he loves to walk! (as schnauzers do). What a great little companion during this trying time. I love him.

CatMom1994

Unfortunately the pandemic hit when my cat Daisy was dying. My choices were wear a mask or wait in the car when I said, "Goodbye Daisy." I do not have any complaints about the mask rule at a veterinary hospital, but the timing could not have been worse. I wanted it to happen on my bed, with me and my mom present the whole time without wearing masks, but because of the pandemic crisis that was not to be. Nothing can make it up. So I will not adopt another cat until the mask requirement is history in Florida.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My Dog pepper had helped me feel healthy mentally and emotionally, he is playful and always cuddles me most of the time. During COVID pandemic and lockdowns, how did your pet dogs and cats help you sustain and keep your good mental health amidst pandemic? Share your stories.
The pandemic has not affected my mental or emotional health. I still take long daily walks with my Labradoodle and when at home, I still hang out with and cuddle with him and my cat. I have no problem wearing a mask when around people, it's the only considerate thing to do in order not to spread the virus, if more people wore them, it wouldn't be spiking so bad again across America. But I'm rarely around people, unless I'm in a supermarket shopping.

bobbiecb

Oh man, I'm so sorry about what happened, CatMom1994. What a terrible situation, not to be able to say goodbye in the way you would want to during your cat's passing. My condolences.

My little doggie is 14 and has gotten to the point where he is definitely aging. I sure hope we all have covid vaccines before his time comes.

CatMom1994

Vaccines would be useless now. They reportedly only work for three months after patients get two shots.

CatMom1994

And reportedly has side effects almost as bad as covid itself (fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, etc).
Meanwhile many doctors say masks are both safer and more effective, so there is no reason not to wear one when you must be near people.

Thank God dogs do not need anything covering their snouts.

MacMadame

Vaccines would be useless now. They reportedly only work for three months after patients get two shots.
And reportedly has side effects almost as bad as covid itself (fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, etc).
Neither of these statements are true at all. The symptoms are mild -- some people don't have any at all, some feel for a day or two -- beats being on a ventilator or getting long-haul syndrome. And while we don't know exactly how long the immunity from the vaccines will work, there are definitely people in the trials who still have immunity 3 months later. Best guess is immunity from vaccines will last 1-2 years. That's why they want people who already had Covid to still get a vaccine as it provokes a stronger immune response.

As for the original question, I thought I was doing pretty well but then my dog died and it pushed me over the edge. I couldn't concentrate on my work and was just down all the time. So I got another one! It took a while because of Covid (so much competition) but luckily I like Senior dogs.

CatMom1994

If it was up to me there would be an older cat and a young cat at the same time so their deaths would be spaced out more than five years and the rest of my life there would always be at least one cat in my home unless they are littermates I adopted as kittens. Unfortunately my mom wants to have only one cat at a time and I have to live with her, so she decides when it is OK to adopt my next furry daughter.

I am happy for everyone who adopts a dog or cat during the pandemic crisis. Shame on everyone who refuses to wear a mask, wash their hands, social distance, and (when available) get vaccinated for COVID-19. They are extending the amount of time cats and dogs have to wait for families.