Your First Dog Ever, What Kind of Dog Was It?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I never had a dog growing up, so the very first dog I had was a Doberman Pinscher named Samantha. She was my boyfriend's dog, and we moved in together, so she became mine also. We eventually got married, and Samantha spent a lot of wonderful times with us.

She was a sweet girl, very smart and affectionate. Being a Dobie, she was often chilly in cool weather. We would have zip-together sleeping bags when we went camping, and she would always make her way all the way down to the bottom, where she was warmest and most cozy. We often wondered how she could breathe down there, but she had no troubles and was a good foot-warmer for us too. :love_heart:

We lost her to cancer in her later years, but she'll never leave our hearts. What was the first dog you ever had, can you share a bit about him/her?? :) :soppyeyes:

Plex

When I was young, my family had a German Shepherd / Airedale mix and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. The Shepherd mix was an old gentle girl who was great with me, but she passed away from old age when I was 5; Corgi on the other hand was with us until I was 11 and was five years older than me, we lost him to a stomach tumor that started going out of control despite efforts to help.

Heidi (the shepherd mix), from what little I can remember, was really gentle and used to sleep on my bed up until a month or so before she passed away when I was little. I can't remember much though; she was a big runner from what my aunt has told me, she was ingenious at escaping yards and any kennels she encountered, which is why my grandpa was so ingenious about keeping dogs in the yard when he needed to. When we had her there was a large pen enclosing half the yard with walls shaped at the top so that she couldn't escape.

Corgi was a yappy little guy but I adored him. He wasn't fond of other dogs aside from Heidi but he was great with people. He wasn't quite as skilled as Heidi with escaping but he was still smart in his own right and affectionate with me. He was good company when I needed someone to play with when I was a kid since I didn't have many friends, and would always try to herd me and other family members to where he wanted us to go. :)

haopee

BACON of Light
Our first dog was a black and brown mutt who my mom got from a neighbor. Two decades ago, my mom left at about 2 pm at the afternoon and when she came back, she was carrying a little puppy with her. She told me that it was my dog and I was in cloud 9.

I gave her the name Apple... why I did so is not something I can recall. Apple lived for about 12 years- quite a long time for the average mutt. Sadly, I had not yet understood how dogs lived back then. Most of the time she was chained because we didn't have a house of her own. I visited her daily but I knew she wanted to be free. She was a gentle girl and she loved it when I sneak in treats for her to enjoy... she wasn't vaccinated, spayed nor was she dewormed. I didn't know the importance of it back then. She was strong and sturdy 'til the very end.

Goldfinch7

My first every family dog was a little Yorkie (rescued from Battersea Dogs Home) who suffered from Brittle Bone disease and lost a leg when it broke and wouldn't heal. He was a fiesty, playful, typical Yorkie and we loved him so much. He had to be helped on his way when he broke another leg that wouldn't heal and couldn't afford to loose a second leg, I think he was around 12 then - possibly older.

LPC

As a young boy I passed a dachshund kennels on my way home from school. I used to stop regularly at the kennels and chat to the owner about the dogs. I saved all my pocket money and eventually managed to buy one, called "Chicko" (that was the name already given by the kennels). We lived on a houseboat and my parents didn't have a lot of money. They said that I would have to return him. I didn't want to do that, so I left a note saying that I was "going away". I walked off with the dog, not sure where to go (my grandfather's?). My mother caught me up and we had a long discussion. It was finally agreed that I would give up all my pocket money to pay for the dog's food. At school, every time we had "free composition" I would write a new story about Chicko and an adventure I created for him.

We kept him for a number of years. Sadly, he was finally stolen by a schizopheniac who apparently drowned him (I'd prefer not to go into details about that part).

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
So sorry to hear about Chicko LPC, what a sad ending for the dog. At least you gave him a few good years of love and caring.

Kayla

My family had Spotty a Dalmatian and Wolfie a German Shepherd Rottweiler mix when I was growing up. Wonderful dogs however we lost both to cancer a month apart when they were both 12 years old.

Happyflowerlady

Dog Mother
My parents had an older Collie when I was very young, and I loved Bonzo, but when I was about 12-13, I got my own dog. His name was Jet, and he was a purebred Labrador Retriever.
I had gone to spend that night with a close friend, and she acne I went to the high school football game that nite. At mid time, they had a drawing and gave away a purebred puppy from a local doctor, who also raised Labrador Retrievers. Out of all the people in the audience, they happened to pick the ticket that my friend Sheila had, and she (in total shock) went down to claim her new puppy , while saying that her folks were never going to let her keep it.
She was absolutely right, and her parents sent the puppy home with me. After that, Jet went everywhere, and his main happiness in life was running ahead of the horses when Sheila and I went riding.
I had him for many years, and he was one of the smartest dogs I have ever had.

InfectedMeatDuck

My first dog was a 4 week old miniature pinscher I got from a pet store. I know pet stores get their dogs from puppy mills and all but I was young at that time and my parents took most of the care. Unfortunately, he passed away a week after we got him. :( I miss him